Thursday, February 28, 2013

Life is Good!: NASSP Day #1 02/27

Recent purchases from Life is Good Store!

Sometimes we forget how GOOD we really have it.  Jake and Rocket from the "Life is good" company seem to have it all figured out, and have made a multimillion dollar enterprise out of those simple words.  After having a great breakfast in Old Town Alexandria with a couple of Iowa Administrators that I knew from back home  I had the opportunity to do a little shopping and stumbled upon a Life is Good Store.  I love going into these stores and reading the simple, but powerful messages portrayed on their products.  We often forget how good we really have it, and these messages are an opportunity to remind us how good we really have it.  As I sit in our nation's capitol, I can't help but be reminded of how good life really is.

During the day, we had some free-time to explore DC and all of it's historical grander.  I have been blessed with the ability to visit this area twice before, but haven't been here since 2005.  Most people know that I am always wanting and willing to try new experiences and learn new things.  I went to one monument and two museums that weren't opened the last time I was here.  I hadn't seen the MLK Memorial on the National Mall, and what a beautiful and majestic monument it is.  The Newseum dedicated to the history of news, was the museum I visited before lunch.  Seeing the wall with news channels broadcasting live in 199 different countries at the same time was an amazing sight to see.  After lunch at the famous, Ben's Chili Bowl  I also went to the National Museum of Crime & Punishment devoted to the history of major crimes and the various punishment methods used throughout our nation's history.   For dinner I met back up with a group of Nebraska Administrators for dinner at McCormick & Schmick's Seafood House.  The crab-cakes were excellent!  Both of these administrators were visiting DC for the first time, so it was fun to hear about their journey and experiencing all of the monuments for the first time. Overall a great day of learning new things and creating new experiences.  Looking forward to Breaking Ranks School Presentations on Thursday. 








I am always amazed at what a snow day, holiday break, or a summer vacation can do for the culture and climate in a work place.  The renewed energy and attitude that is personified through each individual stakeholder in a school after a break creates a powerful and positive learning environment.  How do we get more days like that?  How do we  restructure time and provide everyone an opportunity to have an experience like I am having, a time of new learning, reflection, and revitalization of the body, mind, and spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment